onthe45 asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Question about poaching an egg?

How long should you leave an egg poaching in the boiling water to ensure all the white is firm when it's taken out?

Favorite Answer

2 minutes to 4 minutes depending on the size of the egg, how firm you want it to be and whether you're using it straight from the fridge or at room temperature.

I always use jumbo/large eggs, they take three minutes and then I take them out.

you can SEE if its still snotty or if its white and firm. No way to tell how long since no one but you knows if your water is rolling boil, gentle boil or mild simmer.

• kswck2

The trick is to use an egg at Room Temperature before poaching. Then it should take about 4 minutes in Gently simmering water. Generally you can see when it is done. 

• Goerge

It takes my poached eggs about 5 minutes to get to an over easy doneness. I keep my eggs refrigerated. I don't add vinegar to the water but instead I use a ladle that has been coated in a film of butter. I drop the egg in the buttered ladle and I gently lay it in the simmering water. The water slowly fills the ladle and cooks it while making sure the egg as a whole stays whole and round as the ladle. It's a plastic ladle that floats so the egg stays put and I don't have to go fishing. I always have to break the egg loose by cutting around the top edge like releasing a cake from its baking dish. After that's done the egg slides out, yolk intact and standing tall. It's more an an indirect cooking method that works for me. Fresh eggs have some height to them but as they get older the white spreads out and lays flatter. Ladled eggs also give an illusion of freshness regardless. 

About three minutes if your egg is at room temperature when you start.  It can take an extra minute if you use huge eggs or they're not quite up to room temperature yet.  A trick someone taught me is to put the whole egg, still in its shell, into the simmering water for ten seconds, take it out and then crack it.  The white will have started to thicken which makes for a tidier poached egg.