How long should it take for a house to start warming up?

I lit the pilot light on my furnace earlier, since it was freezing cold in my house and it was getting toward winter. I put it about 5pm, and it's now about 7 and it's still cold. My house is only about 1000 square feet, so how long should it take to start warming up?

When I said that I put it, the phone corrected it fro lit. So put should have been "lit"

Okay, in response to the request for additional information, the furnace is a few decades old, the temperature outside is about 30F, the room temperature is about 40F,  the insulation on the house is wonderful(my grandpa had it professionally put it in like the 60s,),  and this is the first time it's been lit since last winter. It's hard to say what the actual temperature of the room is, since the thermostat is partially filled with bug poop(long story),  and the is pretty cold.

I asked my mom this question, she says because it's so cold in the house or has been lately, it may take a day or so before I start noticing any real warmth in the house. After all, there are like 6 rooms here that are good size, so it'll.take awhile to notice.

After two hours a 1000 sq foot home should fee much warmer. 

You lit the pilot light but did the furnace actually come on?    Can you feel warm air coming out of the registers?

• elhigh

If it's a hot air furnace, the house should feel warm within a couple of hours.  All the materials in the home shouldn't feel chilly anymore after another hour or two.

1000 square feet, good insulation and almost any kind of output on the furnace will be toasty warm in just a couple of hours.

radiators with hot water?  forced air?  check the heat source -- it should be hot by now.  -- grampa

maybe theres something wrong with it and you might need someone to come over and fix it

If the furnace is working, it DID start warming up immediately. How long before you FEEL any change depends nearly entirely on what you didn't say.

What is the temperature outside?

How good is your home insulated?

What is the capacity of the furnace?

• CB

An hour should be sufficient to warm up the house with forced air gas heat - since you didn't say what the pilot controlled it is really hard to say - is there warm air coming out of the registers or are your radiators getting warm? Kind of crucial details.