Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

What could be the reason for feeling emotionally numb?

I feel very emotionally numb and detached from life. Its like I don't expect much out of life and feel zero motivation towards it. I don't think very highly about what my future would be like probably because of all the trauma that I have absorbed living in a dysfunctional family.

Favorite Answer

Things you mention here - numbness, poor motivation, and pessimism - are all signs of depression, and it would not be at all surprising if that's your problem.

As I said, pessimism is a symptom of the illness. You feel lousy and your problem-solving ability is temporarily impaired by depression. If that's your problem, you will look at things very differently when you recover. 

Only a doctor can diagnose, but a screening test you take online such as CESD R can shed some light on your situation. 

Treatment usually begins by seeing the GP, who can  a referral. I mention referral because just a bottle of pills is not a very good approach. The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel. 

If you're depressed, I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This has details -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

Some therapists have begun working on the phone. You can call your doctor and ask about this. 

Legally, a therapist can work over the phone with anybody in the same state. Some insurance companies cover phone therapy. You can use the Psychology Today Find a Therapist feature to get a list of therapists in your state, find out who’s working by phone, and what kinds of problems they specialize in.

Ha! You got LANned!

Just keep fighting this feeling will pass eventually

• LAN

Being a loser.                    

what kind of an ignorant pointless question is this?

" living in a dysfunctional family." is your answer but being an attention wh*re - here is some attention.  go self harm no one cares about you

Go to psychiatric emergency room..

You are seriously mentally ill, seek help immediately..

Do not wait, seek help now.