What happens if you eat expired edamame beans?

A few moments ago I made a pasta dish with edamame beans in it which I boiled. The edamame came sealed in a plastic container. I've never had edamame before and didn't know they only lasted a couple of days in the fridge once you've bought them. I stupidly used them even though they were 5 days out of date because they looked fine and I didn't think they would be so dangerous if they were expired, but while I was eating the first portion of the pasta I looked it up online and found that apparently it's really bad if you eat expired edamame beans but it doesn't really say why. I only ate that portion and chucked the rest away after learning this. The internet is proving to be really unhelpful with this. What I want to know is: will this at worst give me some stomach cramps and diarrhea, or do I need to go to the hospital immediately? I'm struggling to gauge just how severe of a mistake I've made.

I am fully aware that I am in idiot and that if I die it's just natural selection at work. Thank you for the help.

Favorite Answer

The boiling would have destroyed any potentially dangerous fungi spores or bacteria on them. Plus use by dates always have a generous safety margin and you kept them in sealed container in the fridge. You'll be fine, no need to visit hospital or doctor. You would be wasting their time and your own if you did. 

• Audrey

You're fine. They weren't that expired and you boiled them. 

Since it's only five days, I think you will be completely fine unless you felt that the taste/smell was weird. I think the worst scenario here is a very mild food poisoning, but still not likely

• Barry

These expiry dates on food are advisory. They are always well within the safe date. So five days over for beans is fine. Chicken or fish might be different.