Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentConservation · 3 months ago

what kind of tree is this?

And is it an invasive species in Northern Illinois?

• 1 week ago

That's some type of cedar. Yes, cedars are very invasive and many people are allergic to their pollen. 

Many professions consider them to be weeds, but they do co tribute to biodiversity and and minimize water and wind erosion. They also are dangerous during wildfires that can start with lightning. 

Princess tree. Another gift from Chy-Na!

How about taking a photo that we can use, such as a closeup of a single leaf? A closeup of a winter twig would also be useful.

I got part way through tree identification at What Tree Is That? at https://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/WhatTree.c... , but didn't know the answers to some of the questions. You might get further, since you have the tree right there to look at.

My guess, based entirely on leaf shape, is some kind of mulberry. Notched leaves with pointy ends, alternating on the branch. But I can't see bark and right now there's no fruit or bud to compare.