Jo
Jo asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Was I right to report my neighbours to my landlord?

They live above me, every night, I hear them walking about, talking, taking phone calls, and going to the toilet! I heard a 'thud' at 1 in the morning once, and it was just disgraceful! My landlord has issued them a warning and they seem to have quietened down somewhat now, I wish it could've gone another way but I feel like they wouldn't have listened to me anyway. Was I right to do this?

Favorite Answer

Yes but I think you will always hear them. It’s not a crime to walk around. I would move out.

Given that the building is not well insulated you hear much of what goes on upstairs. The activities you describe are ordinary living activities. If they were partying every night, that would have been a different matter.  

You might have had a 'neighborly' chat with them telling them you hear everything they do. You might have come up with a time at night, say 10:30 pm when they might be more aware of the fact they are being heard. 

If you are trying to sleep you might consider ear plugs?  

• ?

No, you werent. Its not your upstairs neighbours fault theres no sound proofing between your floors. What are they supposed to do, hover and communicate with sign language?

You should have talked to them, or inquired if everything was alright as you heard a large thud at 1.00 am and thought someone had fallen. They are more likely to be considerate of you if you are friendly with them.