Anonymous

What would you think of a graduate student who spelled at a 5th grade level, who had no formal education until adulthood and taught?

Him/herself how to read (with someone around to answer questions but no formal lessons or testing)

Sometimes misspelling means spelling a different word than is intended, which spell check would not recognize 

• John

If the person so desired, he could bring his spelling up to college level with just a few months worth of basic spelling work.  

Obviously such a person has brains, but urgently needs to work on basic language skills, spelling, grammar, etc. Get remedial language classes! A smarter person would have done that before getting into grad school, make graduate-level work easier.

• Expat

UPDATE using wrong words at the graduate level is not acceptable. I’m sorry if that seems harsh but a big part of graduate school is ensuring the student is capable to produce publishable research papers in their field. That demands mastery not only of the subject but in writing as well. You must understand that no history of hardships makes any difference because students and researchers around the world whose first language is not English are also required to write at the same high level. Editors of academic journals are not going to tolerate misspellings and wrong words; they won’t even read a paper that isn’t formatted correctly. If this is you or a friend, what I suggest is hiring a proofreader or asking someone you trust who is capable of adequately proofreading before you submit. I’m a professor in Japan and I proofread my Japanese colleagues papers in English for them. 

I would hope the student understood that programs like Word include spell check and would use them. There is no excuse for misspelling words and certainly not in graduate level work.