Should I take a gap semester?

TLDR; Do you think it would be irresponsible to take a gap semester so that my GPA doesn't suffer in a program I hate? 

I've always been very studious and never considered taking time off school, but I just started a new program and I've realized it's not the direction I want to go. I found a program that sounds perfect for me at UMichigan, but if I was accepted, I could only start in the fall semester of 2021. I would consider dropping the winter 2020 semester and working full time until then (so my GPA doesn't drop in a program I don't even like), but I won't know if I'm accepted to UMich until at least February, so I don't want to drop out of school for nothing. Plus, I want to do a semester abroad in a few years, so taking a gap semester to work would probably help to pay for that.

Take a "leave of absence" from your current university, for a semester or a year. That way, if you aren't accepted into the program, you haven't burned any bridges; you can just go back. 

Work and save money for your plans. If you can get a job or paid internship that's even remotely related to the field in which you are interested, so much the better. 

That said, Michigan is a very competitive school to get into, so you'll want to apply to more than just Michigan if you honestly hate the university you're in now. 

And meanwhile, you still need to get top grades to facilitate your transfer. 

If you are certain you have made a bad choice, there is no point whatsoever in continuing on that path. Apply to more than one university, and get out of the bad-choice program you're in. If you hate it, it is extremely unlikely you can keep your grades up, perform to capacity.