When did fiction and nonfiction split?

It seems that the line was pretty blurry before a certain point (the age of enlightenment?). When did people start making a clear distinction between the works of fiction and nonfiction?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Verity
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Truman Capote certainly blurred the line with "In Cold Blood", described as a

"non-fiction novel".   Difficult to classify, but magnificent.

• Amber
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

It wasn't until the 19th century that it became common to split fiction from non fiction. Until then it was down to common sense and you're correct to say the line was bury in literature, because before then it kind of was. But more people had begun to read back then. It was also when genres started to fully appear. Non fiction doesn't necessarily mean true to fact, it just means it's not a novel. The bible is in the non fiction section and if anything in that book is true I'll eat my piano. 

I read a book on the origin of fiction and it was quite interesting. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

For some people The BIble is both.

• 1 month ago

One caveman spun a yarn to another in ancient times. "Ugh, is that story true?", asked the second caveman. "Oooga. Nah", replied the first, "I made it up." That was the first fiction tale. Non fiction had already existed as true anecdotes.

The above is, of course, non-fiction.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, the line between fiction and fact was not blurred - especially in court.

Pre what is called the Enlightenment people were no dafter than they are now and they knew the difference.

• 1 month ago

Probably the very first time an author prefaced a work with the words "(1) Dragons are real * (2) There's no such thing as dragons".

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Pre-History, when human's learnt to LIE. The first written lies were called parables and fables.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.