My uncle gave me his car. Does DMV require a SMOG test before giving you a title? ?

Hello, 

My uncle gave me his old clunker car and I do plan to donate it. This is in California, (California DMV)

However, the car needs to a smog test before I can use the car of course.

My question is if I process the paperwork to change the title from my uncle to mine, will they send me the title even if I do not do a smog test? (I am not expecting the registration). I just need the title.

I do plan to donate the car and the charity said I do need proof it is my car. I just won't register it, but need the title for proof.

Thanks!

Chris

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you're going to donate the vehicle just have your Uncle donate it. Why invest the money to get it re-titled in your name and and get it to pass emission testing if you're going to donate it anyway?

• May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You would have to spend a lot of money getting a title, a smog test, etc.  Why not just donate the car as it is, in Uncle's name?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you are donating it I would not bother. Better yet, have your uncle donate it. No reason for you to be involved.

• 1 month ago

Save everyone a lot of time by not changing the title.  Instead, just have your uncle donate it to directly to the charity himself, so that you don't need to get a title in your name.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Emissions testing is required for registration (plates), not for titling.

That said, if you plan to donate it, the FEE for changing the title is a waste. Either have your father donate it, or have him write up a Power of Attorney authorizing you to donate it for him. You can get the from FREE online.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Just let your uncle donate the car.. They will come and pick it up if it doesn't run.. If you want to transfer title then you have to pay all the fees up front..  So if you are trying to cheat the tax man you might have to pay more tax than you were trying to save..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.