Why am I having so much trouble making decisions lately?

I am a single 68-year-old female and I'm having a real struggle trying to decide on issues in my life. I live in a big house that's becoming too much for me to maintain. I get estimates for various things that need to be done, but I can't make up my mind on which contractor to hire, so nothing ever gets repaired. That leads to another tough choice - do I fix up the big house and stay there, sell it and get a small ranch house, or move to an active senior community? I am having analysis paralysis!

Do you have family members or good friends that you can trust? It seems to me that you need someone to assist you with decision makings that you can depend on. Someone who can see help you make important decisions.

• ree

When you get estimates f/ various contractors, that's your due diligence. It's time to pick one. Surely you have a gut feeling. If not, pick the one w/ the best price. If the price is the same, toss a coin. It's nice when it feels right but that won't always happen and sometimes it turns out great anyway. The priority is to make an informed decision based on your diligence.

You have a lot of conflict because it means change and expense.  But, get some advice from people you think are intelligent and maybe they will steer you in the right direction. 

• kswck2

Sounds like it is time to downsize. Or live in a condo, where repairs are taken care of for you. 

I'm 68.  The struggle we have is with the motivation.  If your toilet started to back up, you'd get that fixed today.  But the weeds, the filters?  It can and will wait. You need to sell your home, and get a smaller town home.  Until you do, an old woman is just like very nice fried chicken---meaning you look good for the taking.  And they are taking you to the cleaners.

I have recently experienced the same thing.  I have been struggling with who to vote for.  My entire life I've voted straight Democrat.  I'm proud of that.  But with Biden, I see an empty shell of a man with years of corruption.  After a lot of deliberation, I have voted for Donald Trump.  I am at peace with this decision.

Because decisions have greater consequences the older we get.  Moving at my age would probably finish me off, so in your shoes, I would probably stay put and live with any problems there that aren't life threatening.  What also  helps me is praying about my problems.  

Source(s): The New Testament (recommended reading)
  • Janet

Fear of making a mistake

Gather your information.  Compare, and if undecided still, ask the opinion of someone you feel is wise or is an expert.

To tell you the truth, a lot of seniors overthink  too much, meaning they have these things running around in their head constantly like a motor running.They need to think up a hobby or something to get their minds off of it.

We go though a phrase blaming ourselves saying why didn't I do this or that etc etc and it can become mindblowing so you need to calm down and relax. Don't be starting up a Anxiety attack over nothing.

Join the club.

I`m female 75 and more or less in the same boat as you.

I know things need doing around the place but can never decide when or who I will get to do it.

My place is now far too big for me and I find it difficult to maintain and then of course there is the `cost` of it all.

I need to change my old truck for a smaller vehicle but just never get around to looking for something suitable.

I think as we get older we tend to get stuck in a comfortable Rut and just plod along `hoping` things will improve, but obviously they never do, unless we get going and do something about it. 

I must admit that I tend to think at MY age why spend out on trivial repairs that I can live with anyway. 

I like living alone and I don`t want to move near to a community so I feel I`m stuck here in my cottage ( I do love it)  until I kick the bucket.

I can`t cut big hedges or climb up ladders to paint anymore, and this year I have left the hedges until the spring, when I will have to have someone in to cut them  down to a reasonable size. Also the weather boarding on the cottage desperately needs a coat of paint in places. So....you are not alone in your dilemma`s.

I can`t tell you what to do, but good luck whatever you `eventually` decide.

Source(s): UK