Anonymous

Food stamps ?

Me and my roommate are struggling quite a bit. After our bills I usually have about $50 left and my roommate may have around $150. We are paid biweekly so this isn’t enough for groceries and surviving for the next two weeks. I’ve applied for food stamps twice but it keeps getting denied and it’s getting to the point that I’ve been going to family members houses for supper. Is there anything I can do? I’m a full time student and work full time and I might have to get a second job.

I've worked 2 jobs for many years.

You haven't told us what you typically spend on your food, and what food you normally buy. Very likely you can cut down on certain items, or buy in bulk.

Without knowing your other expenses, it would be hard to give a good answer

"My roommate and I"

When my daughter was a student her weekly food budget was $30.  She lived on a very healthy diet of rice, beans and eggs.  She took lunch with her every day.  You can cut the bills by switching to a pay as you go phone contract, saves a fortune.  Use data only when on a wireless network, many of us do that.

Get a better paying job. Students are generally considered "dependents" of their parents, but whether "dependent" or not, you don't qualify for food stamps. Single adults generally do not qualify for food stamps, student or not. You do have family helping you, but you can probably do more for yourself, especially with a better-paying job. Food banks can provide a bag of staples periodically. You might also qualify for financial aid, student loans, etc.

In addition to contacting food banks, the other long term solution is getting student loans.  If you are low income, you should be getting some form of financial aid and can also apply for grants and or student loans.  These can be used for tuition, books, housing, or food.  

• Eva

Find food banks in your area. That's what they're for.

If you work more than 20 hours a week you should be eligible for SNAP even if you're a student (as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements, of course). 

You can request a hearing within 90 days of your denial. 

Alternatively, local food pantries typically give food to anyone that asks; they don't require an approval process. 

Buy rice, dried beans, and frozen vegetables in bulk to make the most of your food budget. 

Buy store brands and visit the sale aisle/bins. Shop at places like Aldi's (in the U.S.). 

Google: How to live on $25/week groceries. You'll get lots of ideas. 

• April

It highly depends on what you buy. Don't expect to eat steaks, etc on a low wage. There's a reason why college students "live on Ramen Noodles." Look for cereals, fruits, bag salad, spaghetti, etc. and money will go a lot faster than if you always order take out.

• Barry

Shop at Aldi if possible. Stop ordering takeaways.