Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

If your upstairs neighbors are noisy, can you soundproof the ceiling?

It would be ideal to soundproof her floors ultimately but that’s not an option. If I were to do anything to the ceiling, would that help?  Suggestions please 

• Edwena

The only solution is to move to a higher floor and walk the stairs.   If there was a solution, it would already be incorporated into the building.  Now, you can move to a building where these issues are addressed.  But they cost more.

Sure you can clad it

You can put in an independent suspended ceiling and insulation, but it is not guaranteed to be effective - a lot of sound can be conducted by flanking transmission especially if you have drywall linings. Forget 'soundproof' because that won't be possible, but you can achieve some reduction this way. The other thing is to have soft finishes in your rooms which can go a long way to reducing stray sounds. I solved the problem by buying the flat above me when it came up for sale, but I realise that isn't always an option.