Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionOther - Television · 1 month ago

why did they stop showing watership down from 1978 on british television?

the last time i saw it on tv was about 20 years ago now, and that was the edited 92 minutes version, it is such a wonderful animation from 1978, great storytelling and beautiful art...why haven't they shown it since?

i did hear pc liberal brigade kicked up a fuss about it being shown, and that groups of modern parents got together and protested against it being shown, because it was too disturbing for kids - what a load of nonsense that is, it was a great british animation, which belongs in the halls of fame.

sadly, you can't get the full uncut film on dvd in the uk now, i had to order mine, the full uncut film on dvd from the states, the deluxe edition, which was the full 101 minutes 90 seconds.

Update:

anonymous - thanks, you shed some insight into it that i never knew of.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There was a legal challenge to the ownership of the rights to the movie adaptation. Apparently the writer-director Martin Rosen claimed full ownership of the copyright, challenged by the estate of Richard Adams, the book's author. Only recently was the matter settled in the courts.

It's a reasonable guess--and that's all this is--that while the rights were in dispute, neither party was legally able to authorize the movie being broadcast.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.