East
East asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Got together with friend who took off mask: rude to require him to keep it on?

Yesterday I met up with an old friend.  We sat outside, six feet from each other, for about 40 minutes.  He mentioned that he and his wife had hosted an outdoor party, in a park, the week before.

He took off his mask while we were together and put it back on when we departed.

I find it incredibly thoughtless to take off one’s mask, given COVID-19.

OK for me to mention, “let’s please keep our masks on”, before we get together again?  I don’t want to spend any time near someone who isn’t wearing a mask.

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

It's OK to say things like "Would you mind keeping your mask on? I'd like keep risks to a minimum," to say things like "Please stay 6 feet away; better safe than sorry." 

But you were sitting outside, six feet apart. You didn't need to wear a mask. Why sit six feet apart if you weren't going to be mask-free?

This is one of many things friends expect from each other when they get together.  Often we take each other for granted as to what is and isn't permissible and aren't aware of a misstep until the other points it out.  Your sensitivity to protecting from the virus is reasonable to many, but others think that being outside and 6 feet apart is enough protection, but would agree with you if indoors.  You just need to clarify everything to everyone to be on the same page.  For example I have a reasonable expectation that my friends aren't sloppy drunk when I see them.  I don't mention that and assume they already know.  But if they were to show up sloppy drunk I can't call them rude, because I failed to establish that boundary.

• Fantom

No more meetings with your thoughtless old friend. He doesn't care about you.

• g

Cross that bridge when/if you get to it. No need to make an issue of it after the fact.

Do what you're comfortable with. If your friend doesn't like it, you can catch up after the vaccine.

You were outside and six feet apart...you were safe.

If you're still worried, figure out which way the breeze is blowing and be the one up wind.