Thinking of quitting my job I’m losing money help!! Disaster!! ?

My job pays me by the DAY. I am neither salary nor hourly. Basically I make 150 per day regardless of hours worked. I can work 6 hours, 8 hours, 10 hours I still get the same pay. If I don’t work I don’t get paid. I don’t get vacation or sick leave. Basically I’m “contracted” 

My company recently reopened it was closed due to Covid. We reopened October 1st. I was told my coworker who I had some contact with might have covid19 so I had to take off from Mon the 5th - Thursday the 8th waiting on my test results. I did not get paid anything for those days missed. I’ve been back at work since the 6th. Now, my direct supervisor HAS Covid. So our entire department is closed for the next two weeks. AGAIN I’m not getting paid. I was collecting unemployment prior to October due to Covid but because I am “back at work” I can no longer collect. I’m told I can file a new claim for the time I’m taking off due to Covid but they are so backed up it could take 90 days before I see any type of compensation. 

I’ve been “exposed” twice in a month and we’ve only been open a month!!! I’ve worked 1 week so far in October! I’m strongly considering finding a new job. I want to quit this is causing me more stress then it’s worth however, I’m told it’s easier to find work when you have a job. But I’m loosing money here!!! Because I’m contracted they are not required to pay me for my time off. They told me to file unemployment for that time. Should I quit? I can’t do this for another month. 

Sorry I meant to say back at work since the 9th 

Favorite Answer

You aren't losing money.

You aren't earning money.

That is not the same thing.

Losing money would be if it cost $50 in gas to get to work but you only earned $45 working for the shift. In this case, you have lost $5.

You aren't going to work, so you aren't getting paid.  That's not losing money.  That's not earning money.

If you are in the USA, you should be eligible for pandemic unemployment assistance when you are unable to work due to quarantining. 

"I can’t do this for another month." you aren't doing anything except waiting out the quarantine period.  That's not very difficult.

To protect yourself, wear an KN95 (FDA approved), costs about $30 on Amazon for a year's supply and an additional cloth mask over it.  When you are exposed, the risk for developing covid is very slim. 

Were you looking for a job from March to October?  If you didn't have luck then, you aren't going to have much luck now. 

It,s your own problem,can you not invest your money in a bank?It can grow your sum.

troll alert! this is impossible

You should have been looking for another job from the minute you were laid off to begin with! In fact, to qualify for unemployment, you must be available for & actively seeking full-time employment. Stop fiddling around & start serious job hunting. If you do not have a new job by the time you're called back as contractor, do that while continuing to pursue new employment. 

Why don't you just start looking for a new job with all this time off that you have. Then, if you find a better job, you can quit at that time. 

• Kieth

You can't be "contracted" to a job that pays you daily. Find a new job.

Either you are a FLAT OUT LIAR, or you never had an actual job.

Given that much of your claims are PHYSICALLY impossible, I believe the later.

By the way, you could work 20 hours a day and $150/day would be above Federal minimum wage.

Someone working full time at $18.75/hour would only make $150/day.

PLEASE go ahead and do it. STOP ASKING ABOUT IT.

$150 A DAY is a lot more than many earn.

I live on far, far less.