What's the difference between a cheap and an expensive ignition coil pack?

Thinking of resurrecting my spare E46 318i BMW by replacing the spark plugs/leads, coil packs, filters and fluids, battery, cleaning the fuel line, and even cleaning the various sensors including the MAF sensor. But is there really a difference between the cheapest and most expensive ignition coil pack?

Will doing the above things mentioned above dramatically improve fuel economy and performance from a small 82KW 4 cylinder engine? 

Is it worth supercharging a 4 cylinder engine? 

Doing all this work on a 1998 E46 318i  BMW 

• Bill

Yes, it is called reliability!  Some cheap after market parts are OK but their is no way to know which ones that will be as they are inconsistent.

it's kind of hit and miss. it's really best to use the OEM ignition coils. i've used cheap coils on my 99 maxima and they've failed within like 6 months to a year. some lasted a few years, but eventually after they failed I just ended up having to get the OEM hitachi coils since those seemed to last longer. if you don't have tons of money laying around though, just the cheaper coils, you might have better luck than I did. Or maybe go to a scrap yard and get some coils from there. you can sometimes find OEM coils there.

• CB

The difference between cheap on and expensive one is often the profit margin. 

Go cheap as the chance it is to OEM spec is very good and likely came from the same plant in china.