Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is this sentence correct?

I'm trying to turn the sentence "Sandy is a 27-year-old teacher" into a question.

Can I say " How old a teacher is Sandy"?

I know an easier way to ask Sandy's age is to say "How old is Sandy?"  However,  I  want to keep every information I get from the original sentence, except for the age, so it that a correct sentence? If not, please tell me how to ask Sandy's age without losing other information from the original sentence. Thanks in advance.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

When you ask someone's age there's no reason to throw their profession into the question. "How old is Sandy?" is all you need. "How old a teacher is Sandy?" sounds weird, as if you're implying she has a different age when she's teaching or something. If you need "teacher" to clarify who you're talking about you'd say "Hold is Sandy the teacher?"

• 1 month ago

I would say "How old is the teacher Sandy?"  or "Is Sandy, a teacher, 27 years old?"

You shouldn't ask how old a teacher the person is.  Seems to ask "How long has that person been a teacher" rather than "how old is that person, who happens to be a teacher".  The teacher part appears to be secondary to the age of Sandy, is my point.  You aren't asking for the age of a teacher, you are asking for the age of a person, a person who is also a teacher. The question requires you to be specific about who you are interested in by the question, and it cannot be any old teacher, not just a teacher, but a very specific teacher, the teacher, or Sandy the teacher, or Sandy, a teacher.

• 1 month ago

Is Sandy is a 27-year-old teacher?  Can anyone tell me how old our teacher Sandy is?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Turning that sentence into a question simply requires inverting the sentence structure by inverting the subject and verb and then punctuating it with a question mark instead of a period: "Is Sandy a 27-year-old teacher?"

Everything you discuss is wrong because everything you discuss doesn't turn that sentence into a question but instead creates a whole new sentence that's a question for which that sentence is an answer. 

So, if your objective is to turn that sentence into a question, then how you do it is by doing what I describe in the first paragraph above, not by doing anything you talk about in your details.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.