Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is this sentence correct?

I'm trying to turn the sentence "Sandy is a 27-year-old teacher" into a question.

Can I say " How old a teacher is Sandy"?

I know an easier way to ask Sandy's age is to say "How old is Sandy?"  However,  I  want to keep every information I get from the original sentence, except for the age, so it that a correct sentence? If not, please tell me how to ask Sandy's age without losing other information from the original sentence. Thanks in advance.

When you ask someone's age there's no reason to throw their profession into the question. "How old is Sandy?" is all you need. "How old a teacher is Sandy?" sounds weird, as if you're implying she has a different age when she's teaching or something. If you need "teacher" to clarify who you're talking about you'd say "Hold is Sandy the teacher?"

I would say "How old is the teacher Sandy?"  or "Is Sandy, a teacher, 27 years old?"

You shouldn't ask how old a teacher the person is.  Seems to ask "How long has that person been a teacher" rather than "how old is that person, who happens to be a teacher".  The teacher part appears to be secondary to the age of Sandy, is my point.  You aren't asking for the age of a teacher, you are asking for the age of a person, a person who is also a teacher. The question requires you to be specific about who you are interested in by the question, and it cannot be any old teacher, not just a teacher, but a very specific teacher, the teacher, or Sandy the teacher, or Sandy, a teacher.

Is Sandy is a 27-year-old teacher?  Can anyone tell me how old our teacher Sandy is?

Turning that sentence into a question simply requires inverting the sentence structure by inverting the subject and verb and then punctuating it with a question mark instead of a period: "Is Sandy a 27-year-old teacher?"

Everything you discuss is wrong because everything you discuss doesn't turn that sentence into a question but instead creates a whole new sentence that's a question for which that sentence is an answer. 

So, if your objective is to turn that sentence into a question, then how you do it is by doing what I describe in the first paragraph above, not by doing anything you talk about in your details.