Is it anti semitism to announce on the internet that the Sumerian language was a non Semitic language?

This is a hypothetical question, regards to yet another one of the worlds problems, when it comes to what is correct, versus what is disinformation.

For those that do not have an interest in history, you will not be aware of the current academic debate going on in certain circles.

However, the debate, which is purely academic, has been stifled by accusations of anti-semitism.

So i will introduce you to the subject.

It is general consensus that the Sumerian language was a Semitic speaking language.

In fact, so much so, most Jewish people also teach this.

However, it is in fact a misconception.

In actual fact, the lesser known, but contemporary opinion of professors and scholars, is that Sumerian was in fact a "non semitic language".

The confusion is caused by the fact that certain Sumerian "components" were morphed in to Akkadian, when Mesopotamia invaded Sumeria.

However, a language containing "components" of an earlier language, is not the samething as that earlier language being the same as the later language which adopted certain components of the previous language.

The academic belief is that, Sumerian, was in fact, "not" a Semitic language.

"The term "Sumer" (𒋗𒈨𒊒, Sumerian: eme.gi7, Akkadian: Šumeru) is the name given to the land of the "Sumerians", the ancient non-Semitic-speaking inhabitants of southern Mesopotamia, by their successors the East Semitic-speaking Akkadians.[6][7][8]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumer#Name

Update:

Now i am sure most historians that report on this, do so, quite simply because they wish to have an accurate version of history as possible.

Though, the teaching that Sumerian was a non Semitic language has upset certain groups.

Perhaps they are upset because Sumerian is the earliest known written language, and they wish to be regarded as being Sumerian for this reason.

However professional historians and scholars do not consider Sumerian to be a Semitic language.

So, are they anti-semitic?

Update 2:

My personal opinion, is, no, they are not anti semitic.

Anti-semitism would be if they were pressing the report button on every Jewish scholar with an opposing opinion, or with updated information, and trying to silence the opinions of Jewish people.

Now that, would be anti-semitic

Update 3:

P.S

I am not even saying that Sumerian being a Semitic language is a belief shared by Jewish clergy, or scholars.

However, somehow, it became the common belief amongst most social media users, Jews, and non jews alike, that Sumerian was a Semitic language, and that opposing opinions must somehow be regarded as anti-semitism.

So why, again, there is the problem of what can happen when uneducated people are given a report button.

Update 4:

I am not sure what Arabic has to do with Sumerian.

As far as i am aware, Sumerian was not Arabic either.

Attachment image

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Sumerian is an isolate language (like Korean or Basque). Most people understand the Akkadian connection and few would ever try to claim it as semitic. So as an actual semitic person this does not offend me. 

• 1 month ago

Not sure of the point of this incoherent rant but presumably you know that the Semite race is not just Hebrews.  Arabs are of the Semite race too.  If you do not, you might want to educate yourself a little. 

The Semitic race is a branch of the larger Afroasiatic family who have their origin in North Africa or the Maghreb.

Sumerian is the language of ancient Sumer and a language isolate that was spoken in Mesopotamia. During the 3rd millennium BC, an intimate cultural symbiosis developed between the Sumerians and the Semitic-speaking Akkadians.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.