Can I quit a job without two weeks?

I started a new job in retail two weeks ago and I really hate it. I never really got trained properly and it just makes me super depressed and anxious. My manager is not a nice person and the coworkers can be just as rude. My manager told me she'd train me and never did and told me she'd get me an ID badge and I never got one. I told her today im looking for a new job because I really didn't like it there and I wasn't getting enough hours. She gave me more hours, but I'm extremely miserable. What should I do? 

• Favorite Answer

Retail doesn't always come with the best training, you learn from your co workers and ask for help if you need it. When I started a retail job they showed me around the store then left me to do my job. I've learned retail in general sucks, no matter how many hours you get. 

Don't tell your manager that you're looking for a new job, unless you want them to fire you. Remind them that you need an ID badge. Not every one does it for the money, some people actually like working in retail. 

I've quit jobs that I've only been at for a few weeks before, it's not okay but don't expect a good reference from them, so don't use them as a reference or put them on you resume. At lest give them some notice when you do quit and or find another job. Quitting doesn't make it harder to get another job, specially if you have a good reason to quit.

Suck it up, butter cup. You think people work because its all fun & games? They do it for money.

When I was younger, I was used to working 50 hours a week. It was a lot but I was young & used to it. I got promoted which is something I wanted but my stress went WAY up and not just stress, I HAD to work 70-75 hours a week because I did not have enough help.  I knew I could not do that long term and things got better after about 3 months of that. Stress and hours worked went way down.  I was on salary though and I had to work however many hours it took to get the job done. At first it was 70-75. Later, I had it on autopilot and worked about 35 hours. Then they transfered me to a store closer to home and I went thru it all over again. The prior manager quit because she could not handle it. I was used to it and I had been thru it before so I knew It would get better after an initial rough 6 weeks.

• Barry

Maybe you should stick it out for a few more weeks? New jobs are often difficult but they all get easier as time passes. After all your coworkers seem to be coping. You say the manger is not nice but she gave you more hours! I really think you should  try to deal with your issues. Not getting a badge? Who cares about that? I think you need to toughen up and get on with it. If you fall apart this easy you will in the next job. If you are lucky enough to get one.

Yes you can quit without 2 weeks notice.  You're depressed, anxious and you hate it.  Since you've only been there for only two weeks, leave this job off your resume; a potential employer most likely wouldn't ask about or check on it.  Hope you find something much better with better people.

• Erik

I'm blown away that they gave you more hours.  The typical response would be "fine, quit" (although not in those words).

Like everyone else who says "my job is too hard", I'm guessing you live at home.  If you didn't, you'd suck it up, because nothing's more important than having the rent.  So if that's the case, go ahead and quit.  Why stay at a job you hate if you don't need to.

Yes, you can but it will hurt you if you expect to use them as a reference.

thats up to you but it might make it harder to get another job