Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Is it rude to tell my unemployed daughter to stop giving to charity?

She gives about $10-$20 to COVID charities, homeless people and minority groups. I feel kind of like an @ss for wanting to tell her to stop. She has next to nothing, yet she is giving whatever she can to help these people. 

I have to say I really don't understand her reasoning, and I'm not sure if I even have the right to tell her to stop giving to poor people. 

She may feel it is her civic duty to help the less fortunate.  Some people are givers & others are takers, she is a giver.  It is part of her nature.  That is who she is.  She can't help it.

• Foofa

Assuming she's an adult and isn't asking you to make up for the holes in her budget, I'd just stay out it. 

• T J

She has a good heart. Sit her down, praise her for wanting to help, but tell her that she is in no position to do that, until she gets a job. Be nice about it.

If she's unemployed, where does she get money. Maybe she's just a good person under it all. Maybe she doesn't value money the same way you do. It's ok. It's her life

she might need the money herself soon, so yes she should stop