Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it child abandonment if I haven't talked to my four year old in over 3 years because I can't find out his Mother's number?

His Mother is challenging me in court and claiming I've abandoned our daughter and she wants my rights terminated. I didn't know her phone number, she is claiming in court I could of went to court or hired an attorney, and I've neglected to pay child support my daughter's whole life. Do you think if I explain to the judge I couldn't find out her phone number that will prove I didn't abandon my daughter? Our law says I have to make contact within a year, I know it's been over a year ago but I asked her Grandma for her number two years ago and she refused to give me it and told me i'd have to find out another way.

It's up to the judge to determine.  Plead your case and he will decide who is more believable.  You might want to consider hiring a lawyer.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • ?

His mother sort of has a point in that what you describe here is hardly an exhaustive search (of the sort one would expect from a worried parent). 

IF you can PROVE you have been TRYING to contact, you may be fine.  What you SHOULD have done is filed a custody case.

i would talk to a lawyer about it

i dont think so