Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it child abandonment if I haven't talked to my four year old in over 3 years because I can't find out his Mother's number?

His Mother is challenging me in court and claiming I've abandoned our daughter and she wants my rights terminated. I didn't know her phone number, she is claiming in court I could of went to court or hired an attorney, and I've neglected to pay child support my daughter's whole life. Do you think if I explain to the judge I couldn't find out her phone number that will prove I didn't abandon my daughter? Our law says I have to make contact within a year, I know it's been over a year ago but I asked her Grandma for her number two years ago and she refused to give me it and told me i'd have to find out another way.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's up to the judge to determine.  Plead your case and he will decide who is more believable.  You might want to consider hiring a lawyer.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

His mother sort of has a point in that what you describe here is hardly an exhaustive search (of the sort one would expect from a worried parent). 

• 1 month ago

IF you can PROVE you have been TRYING to contact, you may be fine.  What you SHOULD have done is filed a custody case.

• 1 month ago

i would talk to a lawyer about it

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont think so

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.