Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My mother told me not to have my cousin over because cousin won't speak to her father, is this fair, read below?

I feel her and her father's conflict is between them. Her father is divorced and I think cousin, being female, leans on the mother's side. At the same time father is also an alcoholic. He has even been seen at the bars again lately despite a pandemic going on. Daughter won't speak to him. My mother made my step-father do the same when she made him sever ties with his alcoholic father. Yet, when it comes to my mother's brother my Mom is the enabler (covers up for him). 

So is it fair for her to expect me to dislike my cousin like my Mom does because she won't speak to her alcoholic father possibly due to his drunkenness or possibly because of the divorce? Uncle's ex-wife is notorious for nursing grudges and it is why we are not supposed to like her anymore. Yet, my mother is doing the same thing (my Mom and this ex-aunt are very similar actually even though they dislike each other).   

• T J
    Favorite Answer

No, there is no reason to dislike her at all.

maybe you can see your cousin somewhere else

i think ur father always thought  wife's sister in law was prettier. that could be the reason. she stopped crying on his shoulder complaining about his awful cheating brother in law. that stopped. now your mother also is worried, who will my brother marry now?

it dont sound fair, maybe you can see him somewhere else