Is there such a thing as a good death?

• Favorite Answer

Not really.  Certainly some ways of dying are preferable to/better than others.  But death itself is never a good thing.  It is the eternal cessation of experiencing living and all the good things in life.  And life is, on the whole, certainly worth living.

• Raja

When people die peacefully without any illness and pain, it is considered as a good death.

I recall reading a survey of old people, asking how they'd prefer to die. The top three were (1) Making love (2) In my sleep (3) Jumping out of an airplane 

So I guess any of those would do.

Yes and No depending on what you means by good. You should read Dante to investigate on the life after death. All will be DNA-code edited either by demons or by God in order to fit the life after death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy

Yes, I think so.  I've seen it with very old people who still have all their marbles who've reached a sense of "completeness" and exude a sort of serenity in the weeks before their sudden death.  They know that they're on the threshold and are looking forward to it.  It's hard to explain to anyone frightened by death.  It's not even a religious thing.  It's just a sense of being done.

• j153e

Yogananda's Mahasamadhi is exemplary:  https://yssofindia.org/paramahansa-yogananda/Final...

Generally, spiritually understanding that there is no death is helpful; likewise, the daily passing on in sleep, dreams, and soul travel is an ongoing opportunity.

Related

The Masters and Their Retreats. 

No, you can die without fear or pain though, and get frozen, thats the best, also u can die while taking out a scumbag 

• sam

It is possible to die of laughter. That's about as good as it gets I'm afraid.

Yes, I have seen it many times - see source

Some deaths are less painful than others. Some people die terrible deaths. God have mercy.