Kas asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Rehomed a Cat?

I rehomed a cat and after a week I emailed the buyer 3 times asking how the cat was settling in, in her new environment, prior to him taking the cat I asked him that I'd like to see her pics in her new environment because I wasn't too keen on rehoming her and so he agreed, to my horror the guy emailed back saying the cat had escaped not returned, and gave me a false area, I looked everywhere for the cat, i asked ppl nobody was aware of a cat being lost in the area, no online inquiry on lost pets. what can I do in this case, and he has blocked me on email too

I have contacted police they said the cat is his and his problem, and RSPCA are saying there's no solid evidence he has harmed the cat so none of these services want to intervene, I'm so heart broken wondering where she (cat) is.

Btw I'm in UK and it's happened recently during the pandemic 😷😷😷😷

• F

We got our cat from someone who couldn’t look after it. They asked us to tell them how it got on, but he escaped two hours after we got him home.

Luckily we coaxed him back with food and now a year later he’s very much at home.

You gave your chattel away, so the cat is no longer your property or responsibility. Police were right.

• Ocimom

The police are correct.  Sorry this happened but lesson learned.  Did you meet the people and check out them a little more?  Did you have any written contract?  If not, there is nothing much you can do now.

• Maxi

You gave it away, as you have been told there is nothing you can do about it as it is no longer your cat......... which is one good reason you rehome via professional rescue as they do background checks, home checks, making sure the cat has a health check and is chipped so they can ensure the person who adopts is the right home for the cat

check local vets

Once you rehome a pet, unless money is involved and you have some type of Contract in place   the new owner owes nothing to the former owner, or at last in our state,  at least that’s how The law sees it.

If you ever get a bad vibe or have an uneasy feeling about an adopter or there’s something fishy about how they represent themselves like holes in their story about having previous pets or where they live etc, you are under no obligation to give your pet to a stranger.  Yes if I was adopting I could promise to feed the kitty fillet of salmon every day at 4 pm exactly but there’s nothing that would enforce me in doing so.  Same with visits or sending pictures etc,

When I adopt I always update the former owners how the pet is doing until they ask me to stop or if they were not interested to begin with I simply send them one card saying how well the Pet is fitting in and leave it at that.

When surrendering a pet there’s no changing of the former owners mind, or Telling them you made a mistake Want the pet back, once the deal is done it is done legally, it’s up to the new owner weather they want to keep contact and give updates out of their own generousness 

He probably just told you that to get rid of you.

Stop pestering him.   He doesn't owe you any photos or updates.  It's HIS cat.