Emily asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

Is there a way to stay on my parents health insurance past 26?

I'm about to age off my parents insurance and it looks like Trump isn't gonna let Obama care be around. My parents can pay to keep me on, but only for a year and it's really expensive. Is there a trick or something I can do to stay on?

You don't want Obamacare.  It's horribly expensive and the benefits are not good either.  It was Obama's scam.  There are numerous other plans so you aren't stuck with Obamacare.  In fact, there are hundreds of other health care plans.  If you are working, get into their group plan.  If you are not working, then I would choose Aetna or Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  Those are two of the better plans and least expensive.

Get out on your own. Try to get a job.  The good thing about not requiring EVERYONE to pay for all tests so Obama's plan made the premiums really high, is that at 26, you don't need a colonoscopy unless you have symptoms, and you aren't required to pay for that kind of plan, so you could get by with a catastrophic type of plan which would save you from a financial problem, but save you loads of money.

If you get a cold, you go to the doctor and it wouldn't cost you any more than one month's premium.  If you go to college, most of them have a student health center and the copays are cheap, and the student health fees are pretty low.  People were so , excuse me, but STUPID to fall for all that nonsense that Gruber, Obama, et al proffered to them.  Young people should be healthy.  It is older people who cost more.  Obama had everybody thinking they had to go to the doctor all the time, not pay anything and that the taxpayers should pay for them like welfare.

• Scott

You could become disabled. At 26, it's time to start paying your own way in life.

No.  Well, technically, yes, there are these ways: 1) If your parents get divorced and then one of your parents marries you, that would theoretically work (there is no age limit to be on the insurance of your husband or wife).  2) If they have a business and it's the business's health insurance, they could hire you to work for the business, so that you could be on the insurance like an employee wasn't related to them.

Basically, the answer is no.  Get your own insurance.

• Eva

No there isn't.  Find a job that offers health insurance or be prepared to find it on the marketplace.

It makes ZERO difference whether you are on their plan or your own individual plan.  Either way your parents said they will pay for it for a year.

After nine years of adulthood you really ought to be able to provide for your own basic needs such as housing, food, clothing and health care.

Getting a job that offers medical insurance solves this problem.

Four years ago Trump promised to repeal the Affordable Care Act and he hasn't done squat.   And in a week he may lose his job.

Some people have been known to dismember themselves in order to keep from working.