Got engine degreaser (spray) in engine. Harmful or better left alone?

Changed the valve cover gasket, used degreaser beneath hard-to-get edges. Accidentally sprayed some into the open engine. Big deal? Do I change the oil to ensure safety/engine health? Or is a little spray not gonna hurt anything? Much appreciated in advance!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    It will burn off pretty quick. Exhaust might be a bit Smokey for a short while.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    It's time for an oil and oil filter change anyway. Just spend the money and do it.

  • That won't harm anything.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Does it run? Didn't you use a rag to sop up the over spray? Well, it's too late now. Change the oil & filter, that won't hurt anything.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    A tiny amount like that will not hurt it.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Little won't hurt as degreaser's are solvents(or oil based products)  As you noticed it barely cleaned the valve covers.  You could slip in a tablespoon of mayonnaise and it won't hurt it at all either.  Not that I would cause I would rather have a sandwich.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    i would probably change that after 2500 miles. i dont know how much you sprayed.

  • 1 month ago

    If you want to be sure that the lubrication in the engine does its best and not subject to degreaser where grease is supposed to be, use engine flush, then change the oil and filter. Just a spritz of degreaser "in the engine" doesn't tell much . It could be that you washed off the valve train or it could mean just a few drops fell into the cylinder head- not enough to have any effect. It would even be different on an iron head on a pushrod engine than it would be on an aluminum head on an overhead cam engine. If I got any contamination there, I would flush the engine and do an oil change. It's up to you what you want to do.

  • Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    I very much doubt a small squirt of this stuff will do any harm at all. Rich fuel mix on start up plus oil circulation will remove it in seconds.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.