Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Are people taking facemask policing too far ?

Does a customer at a bar / restaurant have the right to approach another customer sitting at a table with food and or beverage in front of them . And say something to that customer for not wearing a mask ?

The customer is NOT up out of their seat walking around. He / she is seated at a table with food or beverage in front of them.

First and foremost:

Why would a mask be worn while consuming food and beverage ?

Second:

Do you see how this approach could lead to a conflict, altercation or fight?

Third:

Should the concerned customer speak to a manager about the situation as opposed to approaching the fellow patron and saying something to him / her directly ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I believe that depends on the law of the land.  It is every citizens responsibility to be concerned with others who break the law.  Thus, 1 depends upon the law. 2 is unavoidable considering someone will have to confront them whether it be the concerned citizen, the restaurant management or the police, how the criminal reacts is not within anyone's control but the criminal and no one is telepathic.  3 is an option of #2, but the management is not law enforcement.

If it is not a matter of law, then the restaurant patron should just leave, as that is the control they have on the situation, and not return knowing that other patrons don't have respect for others trying to protect themselves from the virus.  Thus, it is the restaurant management that needs to be more vigilant then anyone else if they desire to stay in business.

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That is why I don't go to bars or restaurants. The nature of an eating or drinking venue is that people will be eating and/or drinking, therefore NOT be wearing masks. 

In other types of venues like stores and offices, it's reasonable to expect employees and customers to comply with the establishments policies regarding dress and safety, including face covering requirements. 

I suggest that we take any "not wearing a mask" concerns to management rather than taking it upon ourselves to enforce safety policies. Let managers and owners know that we will not patronize businesses which do not establish AND ENFORCE safety measure including use of face masks, that we will inform their corporate masters why we no longer patronize their business. 

Of course it's OK to speak up with "6 feet please" when people forget themselves and drift too close. 

And BTW, the breath that come out of your nose is every bit as virus laden as the breath that comes out of your mouth. Please pull your mask up. 

• 1 month ago

In the UK we're allowed to take our masks off once seated at a table in a restaurant.

If you want to object to another customer's behaviour, you should mention it to the staff. it is NOT up to a customer to challenge another customer about their conduct.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think they are

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

i think theyre taking it too far

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Around here nobody wears masks but I wouldn't be happy if someone tried to tell me to wear one. There's no cases of covid around here and people aren't dying by the hundreds. 

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Masks are not required when seated, even in New York state. The concerned customer should mind their own business or speak to management and not confront the person directly.

• 1 month ago

Obviously people cannot wear masks while they eat or drink, so there is no sense in trying to make them. 

I would not be in a restaurant or bar in the first place, because there is a pandemic going on, and the worst place to be is in close proximity to others without masks. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.