Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Why are so many women extremely ungrateful for their husbands working 60 hours a week so she can be a stay at home mom?

I've seen wives attack and harass their husbands because they feel like they are being oppressed because they dont have to work. seriously? That is so hilarious to me. The guy is literally giving up his entire life to support his family and all the wives do is attack them for it because she doesn't feel like a proper feminist who has equal rights. Feminists are literally NUTS

You think stay at home is easy and the wives are not bring anything into the house? try hire a full time house keeper and see how much that cost you.

It would suit the family better if the man worked 40 hours and the woman worked 20.  Both adults would get that satisfaction of knowing they were financially supporting the family's needs as well as freeing up more hours for downtime and family time.  This is the modern solution and it's good for mental health too.

• Jack

Why do you think taking care of kids is’t a job?

• Fred

Luck me!

She gave me first choice:

Keep the house up and look after the kids for the next 20+ years; or work at a rewarding job of my choice 60 hours a week?

I took the 60 hours!

So a woman, who sacrifices an equally exciting, ambitious career and her independence to stay home, they should be grateful ?

• Lili

I hate to tell you this, dear, but the vast majority of mothers in the US work outside of the home.

I'm sure the minority who stay home are ARE grateful, but after all, they earn their share of the husband's salary by running the home and raising the children.  They're not idle. And I've never seen a woman who really WANTED to stay home attack her husband for the fact that she is doing so.  Perhaps a woman who feels she's being forced to stay home might be doing that, but as I said, most mothers work, so most of them are certainly not being forced to be stay-at-home mothers.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about, dear.  How many stay-at-home mothers do you know, and how many of them have actually "attacked" their husbands, in your presence, for the fact that they ARE stay-at-home mothers?

What you've done here is make up a claim on the basis of what you ASSUME to be the case. You didn't bother to research any stats.

I stay home and take care of my family; because this is who and what I am. It is the one thing I enjoy; my husband never hears me complain; no one does actually.

I don't depend upon feminism to guide me; something I shall never do.

Because they also work sixty hours a week outside the house and another sixty hours a week inside the house. 

I am a feminist. So is my husband.

I was the one who worked 60 hours a week while he was in school. A few months before graduation, I got pregnant and worked until my due date. I returned to work when my baby was three weeks old, and kept working until my husband got a job in another city and we moved.

His new job paid pretty well, and we were real good at pinching pennies, so we decided he'd work and I'd stay home. Soon I was pregnant again, and the cost of daycare approached what I could earn in the new city. So we agreed I would stay home.

Being the stay-home mom was much, much harder than working a job and a half, even though he helped when he was around. So I fully understand why some SAHMs are frazzled and lash out. They haven't had a full night's sleep in years.

Clearly you don't understand or appreciate how much SAHMs are giving up to raise their kids the way they want them to grow up. To me, it was worth it. They're successful enough in their fields, in happy marriages, nice people I enjoy being around. This is not a done deal when daycare does as much of the parenting.

• Bill

Lol. Most stay at home women are not really feminists. Most of the complaints from stay at home women revolve around a lack of attention, a lack of appreciation, and housework. A woman with a man that works sixty hours a week is likely going to be complaining about a lack of attention.