Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My 65 y/o mom asked in front of my crush if I took my meds, & therefore embarrassed me. Is that a sign of dementia: saying things@wrong time?

And if so, did the condition cause her to inappropriately speak her mind?  Or did it cause her to think my crush wasn’t standing there when my mom asked me that embarrassing question?  Therefore, does dementia somewhat have the same side effects of drugs — thinking someone’s there when they aren’t (or in my mother’s case, the opposite — thinking someone’s NOT there when ARE there.  I really like this woman that I met, and my mom was basically the equivalent of a mom on TV asking her child in front of his friends “did you take your milk of magnesia?”  I  don’t even want to tell her what she did, because most likely she’ll yell at me in denial.  This is not the first time I brought up something she doesn’t remember saying.  And every time, she practically bites my head off, “NO!  I never said that!”  So there’s no point in bringing it up.

I understand that even though I’m grown and live on my own with a car, and a full-time job, she can sometimes be a mother hen, especially since I’m her own child.  But ai’m 100% sure she didn’t intend to ask me in front of non family if I took my meds, especially if it’s a girl I like.  Please help.

Since your mom is 65 years old, she must’ve had you late in life so she probably is concerned that you take your meds since you have down syndrome, LOL 😂 

• car253

Stop taking girlfriends home to meet mom.   Big mistake.   Unless your getting married do not take anyone home to meet mom.

If she's 65 how old are you? Where did this take place then? Where were you the person you have a crush on and your Mother at the time? Does your Mother know you have a crush on someone and who that is? Is it really that big a deal? Would someone be horrified that you took meds or that your own Mother checked to make sure you had remembered them?

• Raja

She is your Mom and she is so concerned about your health she simply asked ,did you take your medicine . Probably she was not aware that your crush was sanding next to you. It is assumed that she is aware you are taking some Vitamins . It is a slip of the tongue she used the word medicine. There is nothing to get so embarrassed ,just tell your crush you are taking some vitamins if he ask you why you are taking any medicine what is wrong with you. Be sympathetic towards your mother considering her age. You may not be with her but you are still in her mind.

• Jane

She is young to have dementia, unless early onset and you already know she has a diagnosis- if you are seriously concerned then you should contact her doctor.

However I don't think you're worried about her health- you're more concerned about her tendency to speak inappropriately, where you feel embarrassed and disrespected.

Thing is, why would you be embarrassed about taking meds? I hope you know that the majority of adults who are working, independent, etc, experience mental and physical health challenges in their lives.

You are only vulnerable to this if you already have problems accepting that you're not perfect. Perhaps your mother's honesty challenges you to be the man who can be open and adult about himself to others, including women. Would you want to be with a woman who thinks you're perfect?

She might like a man who isn't so bothered about what his mother says .....

She probably didn't mean to embarrass you, she just wanted to make sure you took your medicine.  Was the pill a birth control pill?  That is the first thing I thought of & second an antidepressant.  If you are intimate with this guy, it is nice to know that he wouldn't be able to get you pregnant.  Something he needs to know.  Why is it a secret?  Don't most kids now days take the birth control pill if they are sexually active?  I don't think she meant to hurt you by what she said. 

• Foofa

Mom shouldn't be discussing your medical problems in public. But if this is your biological mother and she's 65 it means you're too old to be worrying about "a crush" and should probably have the confidence to just ask this person to go out with you. 

Make an appointment for Mom to go to see her own family doctor and then just take her.  Tell the doctor what you have said here about her not remembering what she says.

It will either stop or your Mom will be diagnosed and treated.

A CRUSH ?

at your age?,, you should be over this kind of youthful embarrassment

She is old and if she has dementia - this slight embarrassment is the least of the problem 

be a man hit on this CRUSH if she is the one,,, get naked with her and get past all that and if it is not a proper person for a relationship 

rethink your thoughts 

at 45 to 50 years of age you need to deal with the fact life is short 

Doesn't sound like dementia but rather a concerned mother. I doubt she meant any embarrassment, probably just didn't think about it.