Windows10 headphones not working anymore?

I use Windows 10 and my headphones used to work perfectly when connect to the laptop, but recently they are not working! They still work on my phone though.

When I would connect them, a window would pop up asking me what I just connect, or something like that. I usually closed the window, but one time I checked "don't show again" then closed. It never showed again, and ever since then, the headphones wouldn't work. I am not sure if the pop up window is related to this problem though.

Finally, when I connect the headphones, I check on devices in settings, I see that only a microphone is detected, headphones are not! However, even the microphone doesn't work (I have to disconnect the headphones to use the microphone).

Favorite Answer

It thinks your headphones are microphones. Some sound cards have the ability to repurpose jacks for different things. Look through your installed programs for something related to your sound card, such as "Realtek HD Audio manager."

Reload the driver, or may need to update them!