How can you tell if a stranger needs money ?

Not a begger, a normal person just walking down a Street or something

I was at the supermarket cashier once and overheard the supervisor ranting (RUDELY) to a man telling him his coupon didn't have enough to cover his groceries. At first, the man's young son was standing beside him smiling so happily, but ended up looking sad. I turned away because I was embarrassed for the man and didn't want to make him feel worse by staring. One of the things I greatly regret! The amount owing wasn't much. I wish I had just stepped up and paid for him. Then later lodged a complaint to management about the supervisors antics! 

They ask for it...one guy a few mos back came to door and asked for $20..I said no...He did not want food. Hubby said he was wanting drugs..ick

Unless they have a Post-It stuck on their forehead or carrying a sign that says 'Money Needed', chances are you will not know what somebody may need in their life at that moment.

You can't

btw, I'm doing fine with money but I'm often dressed down in day to day life because it more comfortable.

You can't, unless they're not dressed like a normal person and are instead dressed as a homeless person.