Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Should I buy a pet bed for my dog?

I allow for my rat terrier to sleep in bed next to me.

Also she lounges on the couch near the window during the daytime hours.

Would a pet bed at this point be a waste of money ?  Would she even use it ?

There are plenty of benefits to having dog beds. They can be used for napping during the day and sleeping in at night. Unlike the floor, a bed will keep your dog warm, support arthritic joints, and prevent calluses. ... It's a place of security that belongs only to that one dog, and they should always feel safe in it.

Usually once you allow a dog up on the bed with you, it's next to impossible changing that.   However, as she ages, she may find getting up there, and off, more difficult and she could injure herself so (depending on her age now?) now might be a good time to get her a nice soft bed so she can sleep next to you but in her bed.   Good luck with that!!

All I can say is 'suck it and see' if she's going to sleep there.  Ten to one she won't

You will never know if you don't give it a try.  You can start with the dog bed up on your bed & then move it to the floor if you want later.

• *****

My dogs sleep on our bed at night, and on various sofas, etc, but we also have some nest-style pet beds that they use. One dog naps on the one in my boyfriend's office while he works, another likes to be with me all the time and will lay on one in the corner of the kitchen while I cook, and all three of them like to lay on one that's in the sun near a window when they're chilly. 

• Amber

Would a pet bed at this point be a waste of money ? Would she even use it ? 

How do I know. But if you're happy and she's happy then let things stay as they are.

• Jojo

There is no `Should` about it.

If you are happy with where the dog sleeps, and the dog is used to sleeping where  it likes, then no need to provide a special bed for it.

But there is no harm in getting one, and the dog may surprise you and want to sleep in it without being told  to do so.

Pet beds are  quite cheap for a dog of Rat terrier size. JMO

I'd say your dog would feel like the pet bed is some sort of punishment  after getting to sleep on the couch and in your bed. You could probably train her to use i, but I don't think she's gonna like it too much. Rat Terriers are pretty smart and trainable, but this one sounds pretty spoiled, and you've let her get away with being on the furniture for too long.

probably not. they like sleeping with the pack leader

It's up to you. It's not hygienic to allow a dog to sleep with you. Dogs after all are intrinsically dirty. Their mouths and anus area teem with harmful bacteria. It all depends upon your own personal standards.