Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

Why do people ignore the fact that Romo was a pretty good QB?

He ranks 5th in the entire history of the NFL in QB rating (ahead of Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Peyton and Steve Young) 

Even if you adjust for era he's still ahead of guys like Johnny Unitas, Marino, Starr, Russell Wilson, Elway, Fouts etc. If fact there are 17 HOFers with worse era-adjusted stats. There are no current HOFers with better actual stats than Romo. 

Yes, he played on a bad team but should that really matter? 

I honestly think he was a pretty good qb. Not elite obviously, just a pretty good QB. While he has 2(I think) playoff wins, he's honestly been on some pretty mediocre teams(imo due to coaching). I feel he'd have similar but not as successful as Rothlisberger had Romo played with the Steelers instead in their prime. That's where I put Romo. I do believe he'd win a sb in that scenario. But he played for the cowboys.

True football fans measure success by rings. I’m not a true football fan. I just never thought he took his team to the next level on the biggest stage. Remember, «  statistics are for losers ».

Because he didn't lead to Cowboys to the Super Bowl or even success in the playoffs. He was a very good QB but QB takes a lot of the blame when teams don't succeed at the highest level even when it's not their fault.

Romo with a 2-4 lifetime playoff record.

No NFC championships.

No Super Bowls.

• bill

He will forever be remembered for his penchant for getting the 'yips' when he was in crucial situations. He was a great qb otherwise though.

An even better announcer.

• David

Actually he played on a great team and was expected to take them to the Super Bowl in the tradition of great Cowboys quarterbacks.  How'd that work out???  Two playoff game wins in 13 seasons.  Some top 5 legacy!!!

He didn't play on a 'bad team'.  It wasn't a great team, but it wasn't BAD, either.  But I do agree with the basic premise that Romo was a better QB than people gave him credit for.  I told Cowboy fans at the time who were down on Romo that they are going to seriously lament his departure...unfortunately, the Cowboys then lucked into the Dak Prescott market.