What are the qualities to look for while hiring a real estate agent?

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

We found ours when he sold our neighbor's house.  My wife went to the open house and talked to him and he sold it for well above ask. He sold our above ask as well.

Go to open houses and see how the conduct themselves.  Do they seem engaged and answer your questions w.o bs.

An agent with decades of experience will be of no use to you if they haven’t worked on similar projects. For example, Oshawa real estate agents that have only worked with high-end society won’t be able to understand the requirements of a normal townhouse, read more @ https://www.rcpcommunity.ca/on/oshawa/real-estate-...

I made a mistake by hiring a real estate agent without throughly checking her out because I went solely on a recommendation.

Her web site was impressive with high end waterfront listing. Since I was selling a waterfront listing, I thought she would be a good match. Well, as it turned out, all of those listing on her web site were NOT even hers. Yeah, clever marketing.

Anyway, I made my dealings with her very unpleasant as she was not doing her job. She misrepresented the house, the body of water, room sizes and a bunch of other inaccurate information to the tune that she was not even describing my house in the listing. She listed the wrong date for the open house on Realtor.com and Zillow.com and was the worst "professional" I ever had the displeasure of dealing with. She finally wanted to drop the listing if I signed a gag order. She knew she screwed up, bigtime, so I agreed to end our 5 month contract. 

A new realtor sold the house in 60 days. 

Check reviews and references. The internet is full of information. Ask everyone you know about agents. I interviewed two agents and picked the one who sold more waterfront properties. 

Do your homework. I made a mistake that I will never repeat!

Really, just look for anyone who seems to have a decent amount of listings in the area and the listings seem to be moving - ie being sold.  You should interview maybe 3 people and if they all seem ok, pick the one you like the most. 

Also ask them what price your place should be listed at, and try to get a good price on your own (don't tell them the price you think is right). If they suggest listing well above or below the price you thought was good, make sure your price is still accurate, but if it is then I'd be hesitant to list with someone with a really different suggested list price. If their suggested price is to high then maybe they are hoping to get the listing with an overly inflated starting price but figure they'll get you to lower the price later. If their price is to low then maybe they are hoping to sell quickly for a quick commission but unconcerned about getting the best possible deal for you.

Experience.  Good track record.  Not a money hungry vulture.  Some people exude it from themselves. 

• fcas80

1 Do you think you will get along with this person?

2 Have they bought or sold properties similar to yours recently?

• JimTom

Dont trust any of them. I guess seek honesty where you can and if they are genuine and act like a normal person, then they are probably better than most.