Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Can I keep a dogs fur in a plastic bag for a long period of time?

My dog was just put down today and I have some of her fur in a plastic seal bag. I just wanna make sure it will just stay the same in there and have nothing happen. It’s all I have left and I don’t want to lose it

• Jojo
    Favorite Answer

I still have some of my dogs fur in plastic bag and the dog died over 30 years ago. The fur is still in pristine condition.

I also have a cushion stuffed with another of my dogs fur.

The actual smell on the fur will fade but the fur will not disintegrate.

Its similar to hair on humans.

Hair and fur and nails are among the last things, besides bone, to disappear when a body is buried and can last for many many years.  

I am so sorry for your loss.  This is a biggy to try to accept.  Yes, the fur will stay the same in a sealed plastic bag.

I have some fur from each of my dogs.   In fact the last one I had pts I had her ashes put in a resin Rottweiler and there is a space for some of her fur in the bottom and yes,  there is some in there.   Others have some of their fur in little plastic seal bags.  

I will ALWAYS keep a little bit of fur off of my dogs. 

You are not creepy (or if so) are not alone.  I kept one dog's fur - he was the best dog I will every own (IMO) - everything I could have ever asked for.  If I can ever got him "regenerated" via DNA (I am keeping his fur) for that purpose in a plastic bag in a dark cupboard.  Nope, I don't look at it or sniff it.

probably better in a paper bag

I'm so sorry. I know how painful it is to have to have a loved family member put to sleep.

I can't comment on fur or how to store it. I hope someone else knows.

I've seen this question/idea before and as before, I'd suggest this is just creepy.    Your dog has very sadly, gone.  But his memory will live on without his fur being kept in any kind of bag, surely?

Later -  Despite what others think about this idea, I still find it creepy.........but I am sorry for your loss of course.   Have you been collecting his fur for this eventuality?  Our local birds collect any fur left outside after a good grooming during their moult and I'd far rather their fur be used to line a bird's nest, than stuck in a bag.   I would say that until recently when I had a clear out of my dog's medicine cupboard, I had a bottle of some bladder stones that came from our second boy.   LOL