Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

What should I have said to someone who said something that upset me. While I was talking to (an acquaintance) about my parents he indirectly?

said that life expectancy for someone born in 1952 is 67 years. My parents were  born in 1950 & 1952 they are both in good health at age 68 & 70. 

I don't have to talk to this "acquaintance" ever again. I would just feel better if someone will tell me how I should have responded to his "comment" about life expectancy

Your acquaintance said something that is not even factual and you are taking it waaaayyy too sensitively. There is zero reason to even acknowledge ignorance. 

I can't imagine how he "indirectly" said such a specific thing. 

You could have responded, "oh, how interesting" or "oh, how boring". Not sure how you felt about it.

that is not true. many people are living longer. some even live past one hundred. look at Betty White. she is in her late 90's

First, explain why it upset you when he said that. It certainly wouldn't upset me. In fact, I'd be pleased. If someone said that to me, and my parents were older than the average age that people die, then all I'd think is 'so they've beaten the average, good on them'.

• Foofa

You could have cited the fact that in the US life expectancy for someone born in 1952 is 73.7. This is a fact based discussion, not an emotional one. Your friend is simply incorrect. 

• drip

You could of said, Well my parents are beating the odds. They have past 67 and are still healthy and going strong. 

Actually his data is wrong according to Social Security.   

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/TR/2011/lr5a4.html

You did not need to say anything, if doing so was going to be uncomfortable for you.  There is no one right way to interact with people, all comes down to individual choice and comfort and safety.

just prove him wrong

Presumably there was a context to his remark. He didn't just suddenly say, out of the blue, "Oh by the way the life expectancy for someone born in 1952 is 67 years".

We have no idea whether he was being a little bit too direct, or whether his remark flowed naturally from your conversation, but in any case it's highly unlikely that he was trying to insult your parents or scare you.

You didn't need to say anything except "Oh?" and move the conversation on.

• .

According to Social Security, the average life expectancy of someone born in 1952 is 73.7 years.  

That person obviously made an error because they were referring to how old the person (born in 1952) was at that time.  You could have asked if they meant the people should live another 67 years.  "Life expectancy" from this point?