Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Is it wrong if you are married to your second cousin?

If you are in love with your 2nd cousin there's nothing wrong with marrying him/her.

Too close for MY liking, ick.

In the United States, second cousins are legally allowed to marry in every state. However, marriage between first cousins is legal in only about half of the American states. All in all, marrying your cousin or half-sibling will largely depend on the laws where you live and personal and/or cultural beliefs.

There's still a good chance that a child who is born out of a second cousin relationship can be born with serious birth defects 

• T J

NO, it is acceptable.

Not sure I've met a second cousin of mine. Line of vagabonds. 

No. It is the First cousin and nearer that causes the bru-ha-ha.

Even then the "DNA" problems do not occur in First Generations.

• Expat

Wrong? It's not advisable; that's for sure, but I don't know about "wrong." It's hard to control who you love, but I'd probably not gotten married if it had been me. 

It is perfectly legal in every state.  The issue with being too close a relation is that recessive genes can come out and cause a higher incident of birth defects.  Second cousin is far enough away to not be that bad.