Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

I never know what to cook for my meals, I'm a student, any ideas?

Not pasta or pizza, healthy stuff

I mean I cook stuff but it's boring and it tastes bland. It had to be quick and easy and not require too many ingredients

salads, smoothies, ice cream, soup, fish sticks, chicken wings with sauce, boiled broccoli, roast beef sandwich with dressing, zucchini, apple pie

Depends on what you like and what kind of budget and kitchen space you have to work with.   I recommend stir-fries.  All you need is a good knife, cutting board, peeler, and frying pan.  Get soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and some cooking oil to start with.  There are tutorials on Youtube. 

You can choose from ethnic cuisines like Italian, Mexican, Chinese, and French and there are many more but that would keep you very busy for a start. I have lots of cook books but there are some good basic ones like: The Joy of Cooking, The Betty Crocker cook Book and the fanny Farmer Cook book. These will give you some basic ideas on methods of cooking and things you will need. Some of the things you will need are some iron skillets, some good pots stainless steel is good and at least one should have a glass cover. The covers should be tight fitting. One cook book told me a good way to learn is to start with a soup. Even though you can buy ingredients you should learn to make certain things from scratch or home made instead of in a box. Learn to make your own noodles. Make stocks for soups and sauces. Learn to bake yeast breads, cakes and quick breads from scratch. You will need a good stock pot for making soups stocks and sauces. You need a good rolling pin for many things you can make with flour. The Chinese chefs can make noodles without a rolling pin and they take 5 years to learn this I have seen them do this in a restaurant and it is quite amazing. You can probably see this on a tutorial on You tube. That is another thing watch some of the old cooking shows that were shown on TV years ago but you can still see on Youtube. Watch as many Julia Child Shows as they have. Watch the Fugal Gourmet Shows. There are some good Italian chefs just search for them on You tube. One Chinese cooking show was Yen Can Cook. Some American cuisines to learn would be Cajun, Creole,, New England sea food recipes, and Southern Cooking Louisiana especially but there are good recipes from Georgia and other states. Also Soul Food ties in with southern cooking. Some European styles other than what was mentioned that have good cuisines are Jewish recipes from German, Polish and Russian Jewish cuisines, Greek, Hungarian, German and there are many others. Also there are some good Middle Eastern Cuisines including Arabic cooking. You cannot learn all of these cuisines but you might find a great recipe or two from each.

Oven baked sweet potatoes with chicken or turkey or just about any fish. You can make mash out of sweet potatoes. Or you can make a salad with grains in it to make you last longer. Protein pancakes is a good way to go too. And I mean the crepe kind, not the sugary american kind.

• Niki

how about a chili pie 

bake cornbread in a pie pan pour chili on top after cornbread is done.  you can add cheese or any topping.

burritos tortillas beans cheese sour cream red sauce or other seasoning 

teriyaki bowl chicken vegetables 

(you can buy the frozen kind in a bag) rice and teriyaki sauce 

• kswck2

A simple chef's salad is a quick healthy meal. A cooked quick healthy meal is a pan fried chicken breast with lemon over pasta or rice. 

Go out and buy Mrs. Dash, salt free seasonings. They can make even bland foods taste better. Or study up on basic seasonings, like basil, oregano, thyme, etc. 

Premade salads.  Well, get the premix greens and then you can add onions, mushrooms or whatever you like.  

Spiralized zucchini 

pan fried potatoes

also tacos .fresh salsa, sourcream, add shreedded cheese, and canned chick peas,and corn.

• denise

Omelettes,  Veggie ragu & rice,  Fruit salad,  Low calorie jello,  Granola bars,  Tuna fishcakes.

• CB

Spaghetti squash, topped with sauteed onions, peppers and some protein, topped with some spaghetti sauce or an alfredo sauce.

Chicken casserole with rice and broccoli, 

Million of recipes if you take the time to search for them.