Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How you give advice?

I thought the etiquette of giving advice is 'recommending' something, rather than 'forcing' something on people. Or is it not? I'm confused

Indeed 'giving advice' is never 'forcing' (unless, possibly, tone of voice is a command!)

The proper way to give advise is when one asks for it.

One of my kids used to do that to her sister whenever she asked for advice. And she'd get really angry if the advice wasn't acted on. Until I pointed out to her that she had just offered advice, the person asking/receiving it, is under no obligation to act on it! The person asking, is just asking for advice to get a different view point to what they have - and want to gauge if their decision is the correct one. SOMETIMES, the advice highlights something the asker hasn't considered and change their plan. I know this has happened to me several times.

• Foofa

Under general circumstances one should never offer "advice" unless it's asked for. It sometimes takes some life experience to recognize that just because someone is moaning about a problem doesn't necessarily mean they want anyone to offer anything constructive. Sometimes they just like to hear themselves talking. 

You are correct.  You may just be having difficulty discerning the definition of force.  

Force is to be given no choice.  Being given two options where one option comes with horrible consequences isn't being forced to take the option that avoids them.  For example if your parent recommends you take out the garbage and if you don't you will be grounded is not your parents forcing you to do anything.  The option to not take out the garbage still exists.  

This can involve suggesting an idea, option or possibility, but the key is to be open to recognizing not everyone is going to want to hear your advice and not everyone is going to listen to or agree with your advice.  And that is okay.

i think you have the right idea

Ask-- "May I suggest .."  or "May recommend this:

Be polite and accept their answer

That is correct.

The other important etiquette rule is that advice should not be given unless it's asked for.   It's considered rude to advise someone when no one has asked you for your opinion. 

• martin

You make it clear that you are giving only an opinion, and leaving it open to the listener to take or leave the advice.