Would it be okay to put a 50 watt speaker in a 20 watt surround sound reciever?

I have a ilive ihtb138b I bought at a goodwill. It didn't come with a center speaker and i have this speaker thats 50 watt 6 ohm. Would it work on my reciever? I don't know how to search for all the information. 

To any ****** who wants to criticize me for buying it, its just something I bought for 9 bucks that would probably be woth 60 bucks brand new. It doesn't need to be perfect. Just something good enough. 

Favorite Answer

Do you mean connect a 50W speaker to a 20W system?

Generally not a problem as long as the speaker is rated for more than the system.

Although the 6 ohms is a little off as most modern stuff is rated for 4 ohms (still not a problem, it just wont sound as good). Most the 6ohm stuff that I've ever seen comes from PA systems, not great quality music speakers as they are meant for voice.

• garry

yes it would work , 50 watt at 6 ohms should give out atleast 30 watts power ..

Yes.      

As with any setup, if something doesn't sound good, 

Reduce The Volume until it Does sound good. 

The Wattage difference is not a problem. It could be a problem were it a 20W speaker on a 50W system as it would blow the speaker coils if the volume was turned up past 20W output.

The Ohms rating may be a problem: ideally they should be the same. But if the speaker has a lower resistance in Ohms than the receiver requires then it can damage the amplifier output stage of the receiver. If the speaker resistance is higher than the receiver requires then the speaker cannot get as loud as it should.

No, because most receivers do not have any room inside of them for any speakers.

Since you chose to NOT mention what receiver you have, how can anyone even guess if that speaker would be compatible with it ?

It looks like that utter garbage speaker came from a crappy all-in-one system. It's not likely to work well, if at all, with any different gear.

Do NOT buy such electronics at Goodwill.

• cmac'm

Probably fine. And I'm assuming your surround sound receiver is more than 20 watts. Maybe 200 watts? Still fine