Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

How can you avoid going to the bathroom during labor?

This is an embarrassing question, but I’m due in a month and worried that I’ll end up doing a number two while in labor. Especially since my boyfriend will be in the delivery room too. The idea of that makes me uncomfortable and self conscious. The room will end up smelling making me look disgusting, when I’m not. I will try to go before it all starts. How do I avoid this?

You can’t, but I promise you won’t even care. I’ll just tell you flat out that I did with both of mine. I used two different hospitals, and both times the nurse had cleaned it up by the time I realised it had happened. As far as feeling self-conscious or disgusting, childbirth isn’t exactly as romantic as it is on tv lol. There are going to be a whole lot of sights and smells in that delivery room, so you may as well get used to the idea. That being said though, I promise life does go on. My husband was in the room both times, saw it all, cut both cords, and we still have a great sex life. If your guy is mature enough to be a dad, he’s mature enough to handle the natural process your body will go through. 

You can't.  Literally no one in the room but you will care, though.  And chances are extremely high you won't even know you've done it.   When you push, you use a lot of the same muscles.  We nurses clean it up, don't mention it, and don't care about it.  It's part of the job, and by far the easiest and quickest clean up of the entire process.

Do not take anything to clean yourself out.  Unless you are extremely constipated, no doctor is going to recommend anything beyond eating well and staying hydrated. 

It happens, they clean it up and you are no worse for it happening.

• LizB

When you're in the middle of labor, having a BM will be the least of your concerns. And unless your boyfriend is an idiot he won't notice or care, he'll be too busy being concerned about you.

• God

The delivery room personal are hardened professionals.  Don't think they haven't seen a shitload (pardon the pun) of BM during their careers.

This is *extremely* common and the labor and delivery people will tidy you up instantly. Anything they throw away goes in a covered pail, so odor is not an issue.

Constipation near the end of pregnancy makes it even more likely, and it's hard to avoid when a baby's upset the normal arrangement of your innards. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and stay hydrated.

If you're really freaked out by the possibility, talk to your OB. S/He may have recommendations for ways to minimize the risk.