Nat
Nat asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How to talk to therapist about sexual abuse?

I have a therapist but when we meet I usually talk to them about issues more current or immediate, not my past trauma. I feel like I should. I’m not really over it. I think I used to handle it really poorly with drugs, alc, excessive sex, but now I guess it just makes me sad? Idk. I’m very numb emotionally and feel like I don’t know exactly how it’s impacting me right now. 

I feel like in general I’m kind of angry and cold. I think poorly of others until they prove me wrong. When I was in elementary school I was sexually abused by my cousin, who was also in elementary school. I felt extremely worthless. I got raped later on the first date I had ever been on, then was in a very sexually abusive relationship. I then got almost raped, and then another guy held me down and took the condom off without me wanting it. My parents were unsupportive and my therapist recommended a child abuse therapy group about that in particular. 

It may seem that I'm dodging the question, but the fact is that therapy does not always involve talking about the past. If you're suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, it's understandable that you would want to bring up traumas. There's a therapy that was designed to treat borderline personality disorder, DBT. It's the best treatment for this, and it's used for a number of other serious problems, like anorexia. It has nothing to do with what happened in the client's past. The therapist and client don't talk about the past, just what's happening now.

If you want more understanding of PTSD, there's a good book - The PTSD Sourcebook by Dr Glenn Shiraldi. I have more information about PTSD in my recent answers and you can click on my name and read if you like. I also have details about DBT.

• Papa-G

YEARS AGO, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) was usually called shell shock or combat fatigue and was studied primarily in connection with military veterans. * Today much has changed. You don’t have to be a soldier to be diagnosed with PTSD. You only have to be a survivor of some traumatic event.

The event could be anything from a war to a rape attempt to a car accident. A fact sheet from the National Center for PTSD, in the United States, puts it this way: “To be diagnosed with PTSD, an individual must have been exposed to a traumatic event.” And this event “must involve some type of actual or threatened PHYSICAL injury or assault.”

What Can Be Done?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g20010822/...