Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Is it possible to be pregnant with twins and not know it?

So I'm 21 weeks pregnant and I huge. Like I look to be about the same size or maybe even bigger than one if my coworkers thats about 30 weeks pregnant. Is it possible to be pregnant with twins and miss it? 

• Willie

Yes, if you never go to a doctor and never have a test to see what surprise you have in the future.

In the beginning, yes.  After an ultrasound, it is very unlikely.  If you are concerned about your size,, weight gain, etc., discuss this with your ob/gyn.  In the U.S., most women get an ultrasound in the first 8 week and then another between 18-22 weeks.  It would be nearly impossible for an ultrasound to miss a second fetus at 18 weeks. 

• MissA

Sure.  In fact the great majority of women pregnant with twins won't know about it until they've had an early ultrasound.

A friend of mine(let's call her Joan) came across an instance which beats A's story by a month.   Her daughter in law and son were living in her house, and one morning d-i-l (a 'big' woman!) asked Joan what birth pains feel like.   Within an hour d-i-l had given birth in an ambulance, not having previously known that she was pregnant.  

I always used to discount that sort of story, but my friend is a sensible middle-aged woman who might play up the drama slightly, but who would not invent facts.

• Etta

Not if you have had your ultrasound - long time ago I was massive by 21 weeks and looked 40 weeks and gained 56lbs but when my daughter was pregnant she didn't show until after 25 weeks and only gained 10lbs by 38 weeks when she gave birth

I suppose it's possible. I've known a woman who didn't even realize she was pregnant until about a month before the baby was due.

But a regular ultrasound from a doctor should be able to tell if someone has twins or not.

With ultrasounds, etc. today it is unlikely but not impossible.

In previous years, it was not at all uncommon. My mom's first cousin gave birth to a son, then the doctor realized there was another baby in the womb, and she gave birth to her daughter soon after.