K asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 month ago

Why the heck are 18 and 19 year olds “adults” when I know they are simply just teenaged kids?

I really don’t understand why 18 and 19 year olds are referred to as men or women instead of boys or girls (on the news)! I find it offensive and annoying when the news calls an 18 or 19 year old a man or woman! I mean 18 and 19 year olds are just kids, hence they are teenagers! Kid is just another word for teen. I really don’t see how 18 and 19 year olds are adults. The age of majority should be raised to either 20 or 21. The brain still has not fully developed yet until the age of 25! The age of majority should not have the word teen in it. I don’t understand it... screw the law... -_-

Rule of law trump’s changing brain “science” is why zxjqd

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• GB

Do you also think the law should be changed so they don't reach the age of criminal responsibility , join the milatary, vote  or have a driver's licence until they are 21? Wht the hell - 16 and 17 year old CHILDREN are allowed to drive!

Those "adults" are charged 100% of the time as MINORS in possession if caught with any alcohol. You are right, it is extremely inaccurate and offensive. 

"You know" but the law does not. If you are unhappy with the law then contact your member of parliament/congressman, etc.

• Zol

I guess because being grown up has to start somewhere, & 18 is the age when the body & brain have finished growing & developing (OK, some say male brains keep developing til early 20s, & they're reckoned to be 2-3 years behind females anyway!).  

18 is when school finishes, & is when a person is considered mentally able to meet most of the adult responsibilities, most notably looking after themselves independently of their parents.  But this does vary a lot between individuals, so maybe it's just an averaged out point!

• Fred

In my country I always got the impression that lowering the age of adulthood was done by a political party that tended to get most of its votes from younger people so by lowering the age of voting and adulthood to 18 increased the political party's chances of getting elected. Since then they seem to have got into power more often.

From a  (biased, I know) personal perspective:  from the 1940s to 1970s, males faced the reality of the draft - conscription into the armed forces to face combat in WWII, Korea, Vietnam.  That was a sobering prospect;  add to that the norm of single-income homes with a male provider and that tended to make us grow-up faster than nowadays.  Along comes the wide-spread use of recreational drugs,  single-family homes,  "social life" limited to devices, enabling government giveaways,etc.  and you have generations of disassociated, disaffected "eternal teen agers".  Yes, we still have many high-achievers in each generation - but seems to be a larger percentage of those who have not had any need to take responsibility for anything.

• edward

Become president and then make stupid choices

• helene

"Teenager" is a 20th-century concept. A MARKETING concept, in fact. Nobody talked about "teenagers" in previous centuries. 

I don't understand why you latch onto a manufactured word as if it were a badge of honor.  Teenagers are NOT SPECIAL. If you want them to be big overgrown babies until they're in their 20s, then they'll be REALLY not special.