A question for retirees, how do you cope with the lack of structure in your life? I am disabled and the lack of structure is hard at times.?

• Ann
    Favorite Answer

What you do is make a daily plan that will give you some structure.  Both my husband and I are disabled.  We have a daily routine--get up at the same time, no matter how we feel--stretch/exercise a few minutes to start the day, walk the dogs (we have two, so it's good for both us and the dogs to get outside for about 20 minutes), come back in  and fix breakfast, clean up, and then do something we each like for an hour or so.  Then lunch, walk the dogs again, do something to stimulate the brain (puzzles, reading, or doing something in the yard), make contact with some other people via telephone or the computer, prepare dinner, clean up, one last dog walk, and then it's off to bed.  Keeping a daily routine is important.  Of course, on the days we have dr. appts., the schedule is adjusted around those.  Being disabled--even on a walker or in a wheelchair--doesn't mean you can't have a daily plan.  Not having anything to do invites depression, and that is the worst thing possible.

I have a disability also, when I retired I felt a relieft from working and from all social contacts , because there was just too much back stabbing going on at work. So it was good to be just by myself and with my S/O its very peacful  and I love it. If you are a ppl person then you got a problem.You need to learn on how to do things, like pick up a hobby or soemthing. You don't need any social contacts unless it is your family. You don't need the headaces from others.

I'd trade places with you.  My retired life has so much structure that it's really stressing me out.  But if you're looking for structure, volunteer your services at a charity organization.  There you'll meet wonderful people and accomplish worthy goals.

• Snid

I have more structure now than I did when I wasn't retired.

• P.L.

When you say 'structure' do you mean 'routine'?  If so, I'd say that it is better to have some kind of routine but not too rigid. As we age we want more freedom to do things in our own way and at our own pace without interference from other people.  We deserve that after a lifetime of having to please others.

• ree

I'm blessed. I have my health and can either afford or have whatever I want. Everything I own is paid for including my residence. My structure is largely doing what I want when I want.

• Laredo

I do not really have a structure in my life.  Certain days I have the gym, there is also a shopping day, but I am not tied to set times I please myself what time I go out and when I can come back.

That is the enjoyment of retirement you are not tied to the clock, get up at a certain time, be at work for a certain time, finish work at a certain time etc etc.  We have all the time in the world now so enjoy it..

You might feel differently then that is your privilege, if you need structure then go for it, we are all different. Just for me retirement means not being tied to strict times anymore.

Who needs structure, when you're old live for the moment, do what ever you want to do when you want to do it.

I go to bed when i want, get up when i want, eat when i want and go out when i want, structure is a dirty word for us oldies.

Lack of structure is liberating. I do not need a program that determines how I live my life. I choose what to do and when to do it, within the limitations of what I am able to do. There are some things we HAVE to do but everything else is up for grabs. Why not grab it when the mood takes us?

My neighbor is also retired and disabled.  He is severely mentally retarded.