Do people age faster/slower in space?

For example, let's say that two babies are born at the exact same time. One is born on Earth and one is born on the international space station. After ten years, would the baby in space be physically older/younger than the baby on Earth? Like does space make your body age slower? Idk I'm not a physicist but I am genuinely curious and would like a detailed answer, please. I will award the best answer and thumbs up. :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Technically, Einstein said that your time dilates or enlarges in gravitational fields rather than slowing down or passing by at a slower rate. To understand this, consider two timelines; one for you and your friend. Let’s start out with you and your friend in space. Let’s start both timelines at the same time and have them run for the same elapsed time. Now let’s bring you down to earth but keep your friend in space. From the concept that time dilates in gravitational fields, your timeline enlarges or dilates. It is now longer than your friends timeline. Now have both of your times pass at the same rate. You’ll notice that it takes you a longer time to get to the end of your timeline relative to your friend. This is how Einstein said it happens. Now let’s look at it from a different point of view. Instead of your timeline dilating, let’s pass your time at a slower rate. Both of the timelines have the same length, but your friend finishes their timeline first. This isn’t time dilation but instead, it is the slowing down of time. I guess either way is correct. I’m not sure. Both is culturally expressed as being true. But to answer your question in layman’s terms, time passes by quicker in space than on earth.

• 1 month ago

No, it is complete nonsense.  They both age at the same rate, wherever they are.  They are both essentially in the same time-frame.  Unless the one in space is moving at nearly light-speed, any relativistic effects are unmeasurable.  And relativistic effects are only observable as long as they are  moving with respect to each other.  They stop when they are at rest.

• 1 month ago

They don’t age any differently just because they’re in space. They age differently because they are moving at a different speeds, and because gravity is a bit less on the ISS. The different is about 1 second per 100 years.

There’s also different BIOLOGICAL effects, but that is because of the different environments. Different stress levels, especially the ways that a human body reacts to different gravity.

• 1 month ago

They would age differently.  The Apollo astronauts tend(ed) to get cataracts earlier due to exposure to radiation outside the Van Allen Belts, but microgravity would also mean the likes of osteoarthritis developing more slowly, if at all.  But osteoporosis would be worse and there would be more oxidative damage to cells due to ionising radiation.  Cancer would be much more likely in particular.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

https://www.space.com/33411-astronaut-scott-kelly-...

Mark and Scott Kelly were born 6 minutes apart. Mark is now 6  minutes and 5 microseconds older because he spent a lot more time in space than Scott is. It is NOT the time dilation that has physically aged Mark as it is much longer exposure and  greater exposure to more radiation.  

Both gravity And speed relative to one another. Greater gravity some one age slightly slower if you are moving at the same speeds., but The difference is very small. Ifcaone one is moving fasrer, even if it is?at low earth orbital speeds nowhere near the speed of light there is a difference. Mark has?sent times longer in space than Scott. 

• 1 month ago

No. Space by itself has no effect. It is speed of movement relative to the speed of light that slows relative time.

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Gravity effects spacetime, which means the more gravity there is, the slower time will pass. So a baby up at the ISS will age faster, due to less gravity up there (the mass of the earth will make gravity much stronger here) but in reality it will probably just be a difference in nano seconds, if even that...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think the ISS baby would be a few minutes older than the earth baby after 10 years, but im not exactly sure. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.