"Best" handgun for home defense?

Alright, so I'm moving into an apartment soon and was wondering what your opinion is on the best defense handgun for that type of setting is. I don't want any of my bullets going into my neighbors home next door. Any suggestions? Anything I should try to avoid? What specific type of bullets should I use? Thanks! 

• JOHN B
    Favorite Answer

There are 3 or 4 different revolvers by different man. that will fire .410/45acp and in case of S&W 45lc. I'd say loaded with #4 bird shot might fit. 

I have a carry permit and an assortment of handguns and a short barreled shotgun but what I typically carry is police strength pepper spray. There are situations that don't quite cross over the level of fear to justify deadly force. More specifically to the question any quality handgun with frangible ammo would be appropriate but unless you plan on practicing A LOT don't expect to hit anything. Even the average police are notoriously bad shots.

Best home defense gun is a 12 Ga shorter barrel shotgun, #6 or #4 shot.

If you just have to have a handgun, a .22LR will do the trick.

Don't believe anyone who recommends a shotgun. The spread won't be more than an inch or two at under 20 feet range and you are left with a weapon that is slow to bring to bear. 

Apart from that, a small caliber weapon should allow you to re-aim faster after each shot.

Apart from weapon choice, be sure to practise regularly, secure the weapon well and in the right place and remember that using a gun only comes after all other choices are gone, such as escape.

I am in favor of gun-control. I am also a gun owner. Because average police response time is around 15-20 minutes.

• Brutus

Guns are terrible for self defense

• Robin

I use a revolver in .455 webley 

It really depends on the situation Josh. I've told my wife not to go on the offensive if she is there alone or someone is already inside the house. The plan is to retreat to the rear of the bedroom, then unload all six 38 special lead hollow points into the next person that comes thru the bedroom door. If the security system picks something up outside, then grab the shotgun. Its a Remington 870 pump with a 16 inch barrel, and a pistol grip stock, loaded with 5 rounds of 00 buckshot. I know its not "technically" a handgun, but it kinda-sorta is. There should be a firewall between you and your neighbors place, so lead blowing thru that wall and still being able to kill someone shouldn't be an issue with the ammo I've mentioned, but not completely impossible. Its good that you're thinking about that. As much as I love my AR's, I don't want to kill someone next door or in another area code by sending lead 2 miles downrange. I hope you and I never need to find that out. And please, please remember...keep your weapon clean and where you can get to it in an emergency, but never, ever, never store it where a child can find it. Good luck with the new place, and stay safe.

I wish everyone could own and carry a tazer for self-defense. Given your parameters (which are real concerns) I would suggest more locks and a guard dog.

• Frangible ammunition is your best bet if you intend to purchase a handgun. As previous reply said, shotgun is better.

• Bob

A shotgun would be much better in an apartment, or a 9mm with hollow points.