What are some things to look for when auditioning applicants for when starting a new band?

• Mike W

You'd want them to fit in with the rest of the band, but not too well.  If they fit in too well, there's no conflict, and no progress.  If they clash too much with the band, there's no cohesion in the band.  Either extreme is bad. 

It's not a list of specific things to check off on a list, someone either fits or they don't.

When I joined my first band, it wasn't much of a question.  I wasn't the best technical guitar player (guitarists are a dime a dozen), but I played with balls and conviction.  I didn't have the longest hair (hair was important back then), but it was long enough.  I did do the classic guitar-god poses while playing, which worked in my favour but wasn't the decision maker.  

The final decision was made because I just fit.  The other guys said I had the right combination of skills, looks and stage presence, and it just felt natural when I jammed with them.  We played a few small gigs and fell apart a few months later, but it was a good time.

Forget the list of requirements, and just jam with whoever auditions.  You don't know anything until you play together, and then you either feel a connection or you don't.

• snafu

Skill, enthusiasm, commitment, creativity, and transport - (how will they get to rehearsals, gigs etc) it could become an issue if someone has to trawl around to pick them up.