Can I be fired for refusing to serve white supremacists?
I had just gotten told by my manager that they would consider firing me for refusing to serve someone who blatantly wears swastikas and other nazi symbolism and that I should bite my tongue going forward. Is this even legal, can I fight this somehow? Should business allow white supremacists to get food or other services at their establishment? Btw I hate white supremacy and racism as a whole and personally think they should be removed from society as a whole and be unable to spread their movement anywhere.
- babyboomer1001Lv 71 month ago
You will be fired. It is not your business. You are just an employee so do what you are told to do, or else. Note that a swastika does not only represent Nazis. That was the chosen symbol for the Nazis in WWII. However, a swastika is much older than WWII and it has been used in many cultures and in various ways. Straight from Wikipedia:
"The swastika symbol, 卐 (right-facing or clockwise) or 卍 (left-facing or counterclockwise), is an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. The left-facing version may also be referred to as sauwastika. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. In the Western world, it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s when the right-facing tilted form became a feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of the Aryan race. As a result of World War II and the Holocaust, many people in the West still strongly associate it with Nazism and antisemitism. The swastika continues to be used as a symbol of good luck and prosperity in Hindu and Buddhist countries such as Nepal, India, Mongolia, China and Japan. It is also commonly used in Hindu marriage ceremonies. "
Further, it is a Sanskrit word meaning "conducive to well being".
So educate yourself and do your job, which is to serve customers, not hold yourself out in judgment of others.
- Ana XLv 41 month ago
I consider a million times more likely that you will lose your job because you ignore some politically correct dogma. Censorship, dismissals, harassment, come from that side, from the side of the absolute owners of the truth: 'political correctness'.
- iammclaneLv 71 month ago
Well, basically you can get fired for doing ANYthing...or for NOT doing ANYthing. Whether an employee continues to be an employee is totally up to the employer...
...when the employer has 15 or more employees, and terminates one of them due to race, creed, color, origin, age, or disability.
Your refusal to serve certain customers wouldn't put you into any of those categories, so yeah...you can get fired and probably couldn't sue to get your job back.
(Just FYI, there are no laws in the USA against being a Nazi or a racist. Disappointing, I know - but it sorta puts you in the position of refusing to serve someone based just on your own, personal convictions and prejudices - which is kinda how those lunchcounter workers felt in Greensboro, NC when they refused to serve the black students...plus THEY had the actual LAW on their side at the time...YOU don't.)
As a side note, "Discrimination" is actually the act of making a choice based on one's own subjective assessment - and is a good thing, generally-speaking. You want the person flying your plane to be very discriminating, for example. There's nothing bad or illegal about it. In any state or any country.
Refusing to serve a particular customer or class of customers is an act of discrimination, and it might also be a good thing. For example: "No shoes, no shirt, no service." So even that form of discrimination is perfectly healthy and legal. In fact, the owner of a restaurant or bar or hotel may refuse to serve ANYONE they want, (that is, they may discriminate against anyone) - and perfectly within the law UNLESS they are doing so due to race, creed, origin, or color...(or due to other reasons, in various states and cities). So those reasons are OUT, but all OTHER REASONS are still IN. It IS legal to discriminate, and it is legal to refuse service. The owner can refuse service to a potential customer "because I don't like the cut of your jib". That's perfectly legal.
- Anonymous1 month ago
the vast majority of white supremacists are just sheltered disenfranchised males that grew up with personal issues like abuse and loneliness.
if it bothers you so much, then you could take the risk in fighting for what you think is right, or you could risk getting fired
there are some people who are bold enough to say something regardless of the consequences, but its really up to you what you think is right
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous1 month ago
1. You can be fired for anything. Whether or not you have legal recourse is another question.
2. Refusing to serve a customer (ANY customer) IS discrimination.
3. You admit your discrimination is racially based which is illegal.
4. White supremacists are rare I'm not sure why you would assume these people are just on the basis of a tattoo. Swastikas existed before the Nazis and mean a lot of different things.
5. It's a jump in logic to assume Nazi supporters are inherently racist. Political ideology is about the nature and function of government. It has has nothing to do with race. In fact there were many fascist countries from around the world made up from a lot of different races.
- Bubba RayLv 71 month ago
Just serve them. Maybe the Mexican cook will prepare something "special" for them.
- Anonymous1 month ago
Varies on the place of employment and management, a good business would back you and hurl them out the door.
- Refusing to serve a customer (ANY customer) IS discrimination: This is a boldface lie
- Swastikas existed before the Nazis and mean a lot of different things: Depends on how the Swastika is drawn and presented, 98% of the time the Swastika is for Nazism.
- It's a jump in logic to assume Nazi supporters are inherently racist: You don't know what Nazism is, white, blonde hair, blue eyes, master race. That is inherently racist by definition.
- I consider a million times more likely that you will lose your job because you ignore some politically correct dogma. Censorship, dismissals, harassment, come from that side, from the side of the absolute owners of the truth: 'political correctness'. : Poor snowflake is triggered by being requested to be a decent human being.Source(s): Essential worker
- donnieLv 61 month ago
If this story is even true let me say this, alright here we go they want to get money. This person is a paying customer therefor they probably don’t want to refuse him service. Not right to wear that stuff but whatever.